Bibb County was created by the Alabama Territorial Legislature on February 7, 1818. It was one of the first thirteen counties to be added to the seven already existing when Alabama was still a part of the Mississippi Territory. Originally, it was called Cahaba (spelled Cahawba for many years) to preserve the name given it by the Choctaw Indians, Oka Aba. On December 4, 1820, the State Legislature renamed it in honor of the late Governor William Wyatt Bibb. As it was then constituted, it contained much of what is now the southern part of Shelby County and the western part of Chilton County.
According to the 2010 Decennial Census, Bibb County is home to a population of 22,915 people and covers an area of 626 square miles. We have a variety of businesses and industries and a total of nine public schools plus a county vocational school and a private school. There are also several community colleges and major universities located close to Bibb County.
Bibb County offers many attractions and points of interests. These attractions include a large public lake, a private country club with an 18-hole golf course, several walking trails, an airport, several baseball fields, tennis courts and public parks with picnic pavilions and children's playground equipment. The Cahaba River flows through the county providing canoeing and fishing opportunities. Bibb County offers many acres of private and government owned land dedicated to wild game hunting. It is also conveniently located near the metropolitan areas of Tuscaloosa and Birmingham.