Bibb County was created by the Alabama Territorial Legislature on February 7, 1818. It was one of the first thirteen counties to be added to the seven already existing when Alabama was still a part of the Mississippi Territory. Originally, it was called Cahaba (spelled Cahawba for many years) to preserve the name given it by the Choctaw Indians, Oka Aba. On December 4, 1820, the State Legislature renamed it in honor of the late Governor William Wyatt Bibb. As it was then constituted, it contained much of what is now the southern part of Shelby County and the western part of Chilton County. Its present area is 625 square miles.